Until December 2015 when the South Devon Highway was opened the village, straddling the A380 between Newton Abbot and Torquay, was effectively divided by a continuous stream of heavy traffic, with more than 35,000 vehicles passing through each day. That number has since reduced significantly, to around 6,000, with plans to reduce the speed limit to 20mph in places.
The village has a health centre, primary school, a variety of small shops including a chemist, a post office, a village garage, hairdressers and a co-op, where parking can sometimes be a problem, along with a library that survived the threat of closure in 2006 and remains open for 15 hours each week.
The Grade II listed parish church also now serves a secular purpose as the venue for many of the concerts promoted by the voluntary, not for profit, organisation World Unlimited, details of which can be found in the listings.
Like many villages throughout South Devon, Kingskerswell is under pressure from developers wishing to build more housing, placing existing services and infrastructure under ever greater pressure.
The village grew up where the ancient track from St Marychurch to Coffinswell took the narrowest point across a wide, marshy valley, home to the Aller Brook and its tributaries, on its way west to Ipplepen and Totnes. Here a bridge, known as Dacca Bridge or Daccabridge, was constructed, and Kingskerswell grew up on the western bank.
In the late 1840s the Newton Abbot to Kingswear railway line was built through the centre of the village, resulting in the demolition of several properties and extensive changes to the original road layout, including severing the ancient route over Daccabridge. By 1853 the village had its own station on the line, providing wealthy businessmen from both Newton Abbot and Torquay to build large villas from which they could commute to work. The station was finally closed in 1964.
During the 19th century the village was well known for the production of cider, although much of the land to the east of the main road that was previously home to apple orchards has since been covered by housing estates.
Industry also came to Kingskerswell during the 19th century. The Aller Vale Pottery was set up on the north side of the village in 1865. Originally producing earthenware goods, it started producing art pottery in 1881. A few years later in 1886 Princess Louise, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, came to visit, having previously purchased some its wares. Other members of the Royal family subsequently became customers, their patronage leading to the pottery being renamed as the Royal Aller Vale Pottery.
The Grade II listed Church of St Mary may have parts dating to the 14th century, most notably the south transept, while the tower dates from the 15th century. The three medieval stone effigies in the north aisle beneath the windows are reputed to represent Sir John Dinham and his two wives and probably also date from the early 14th century.