The Grand Hotel first opened in Torquay in 1881, in response to the Great Western Railway’s expansion into the South West. Its striking Victorian architecture, elegant interiors seafront location and award-winning food has earned it pride of place as Torquay’s landmark hotel for over 130 years. During that time, The Grand has witnessed many historical events and has played its own role over the years. In 1926, it was one of the first hotels in the UK to install central heating, a pioneering venture at the time! During World War Two, the hotel was requisitioned by the Royal Air Force. Behind the wallpaper in the rooms on the fourth floor, there are messages and dates that some of the aircrew scribbled on the walls and the restaurant was used as one large dormitory. The Grand reopened as a hotel in 1946. Corbyn beach, right in front of the hotel was once the site of a late medieval harbour and this maritime tradition has continued with the more recent development of Torquay Marina a 10 minute stroll along the seafront from The Grand, and regular large ships and Royal Navy vessels anchoring further out in the bay. We’ve welcomed many famous guests throughout our history, including the world-renown ‘Queen of Crime’, Agatha Christie and music legends, such as the Rolling Stones. Originally built with just 12 bedrooms, The Grand has been expanded several times to reach its present size of 132 en-suite bedrooms. Keith Richardson purchased the hotel in 2001 and undertook an extensive refurbishment in order to pay homage to its period architecture and Art Deco interiors.