St Peter's Church

St Peter's Church

By 1300 a sizeable church stood on the present site, although little of this survives. The north and south arcades of the nave probably represent the exterior walls of this church, so it was smaller than the current building.

In the early 14th century the church was rebuilt and enlarged in the Decorated Gothic style. The chancel was rebuilt first and the high altar was dedicated by Bishop Stapleton of Exeter on 28 October 1311. The nave and the aisles were then rebuilt and re-dedicated by the bishop on 21 February 1322. There would also have been a tower, smaller than the present one today. Outside the main door is a holy water stoop of this period, for people to use to bless themselves with, when entering the church.

Around 100 years later, in the early 15th century, the chancel was again rebuilt in the Perpendicular style, in granite. There may have been a restoration of other parts of the church as well, for the roof in the north aisle, with the roof bosses, probably dates to this period. The rebuilding seems to have taken place during the ministry of William Browning, who was born in Ugborough.

In the early 16th century, major works were again undertaken. The tower was rebuilt to be much larger and grander than the medieval tower, again in granite. At about this time the large porch over the main north door was built, with a parvis room above it. This was used for storage, meetings and possibly accommodation.

During the 1740s and the incumbency of Richard Cranch, the church was renovated and enlarged. The north and south transepts seem to have been added at this time, while in the 1770s, a gallery was added to the west end of the church to accommodate singers and musicians, to accompany worship.

Beginning in 1861 a major restoration of the church took place. The south transept was rebuilt and reseated, the chancel was redecorated and the present large windows were constructed in the north and south aisles.

St Peter's Church

By 1300 a sizeable church stood on the present site, although little of this survives. The north and south arcades of the nave probably represent the exterior walls of this church, so it was smaller than the current building.

In the early 14th century the church was rebuilt and enlarged in the Decorated Gothic style. The chancel was rebuilt first and the high altar was dedicated by Bishop Stapleton of Exeter on 28 October 1311. The nave and the aisles were then rebuilt and re-dedicated by the bishop on 21 February 1322. There would also have been a tower, smaller than the present one today. Outside the main door is a holy water stoop of this period, for people to use to bless themselves with, when entering the church.

Around 100 years later, in the early 15th century, the chancel was again rebuilt in the Perpendicular style, in granite. There may have been a restoration of other parts of the church as well, for the roof in the north aisle, with the roof bosses, probably dates to this period. The rebuilding seems to have taken place during the ministry of William Browning, who was born in Ugborough.

In the early 16th century, major works were again undertaken. The tower was rebuilt to be much larger and grander than the medieval tower, again in granite. At about this time the large porch over the main north door was built, with a parvis room above it. This was used for storage, meetings and possibly accommodation.

During the 1740s and the incumbency of Richard Cranch, the church was renovated and enlarged. The north and south transepts seem to have been added at this time, while in the 1770s, a gallery was added to the west end of the church to accommodate singers and musicians, to accompany worship.

Beginning in 1861 a major restoration of the church took place. The south transept was rebuilt and reseated, the chancel was redecorated and the present large windows were constructed in the north and south aisles.

Contact Information

The Square, Ugborough, Ivybridge, PL21 0NT

Forthcoming events

There are no future events scheduled at St Peter's Church