St John's Church

St John's Church

Around 17,000 people visit St John’s each year. Grade II listed, the building serves both as a church for the people of Bridgetown and as a community centre, used for rehearsals, concerts and larger meetings.

Although there is a weekly sacramental service, there is no choir and services are more informal, but still undertaken in compliance with Common Worship.

Thanks to a significant contribution from the Heritage Lottery Fund the church has been able to raise £230,000 to replace the deteriorating wooden window frames on the north and south sides of the building, provide a disabled toilet and refurbish a kitchen on the ground floor.

History Built by the Duke of Somerset in 1832 at a cost of £7,000 and seating 700 worshippers, under its radical first minister the Reverend James Shore in 1844 St John’s became the first Independent Free Church in England, only subsequently rejoining the Church of England in 1869.

In 1976 the church was completely gutted in an arson attack. Significantly the rebuilding avoided any attempt at reinstating the old features. Instead an extra floor was inserted above the worship space to provide a large meeting hall.

In 1980 the church was refurbished, with the mullions and tracery at the sides of the nave being replaced by steel frames.

St John's Church

Around 17,000 people visit St John’s each year. Grade II listed, the building serves both as a church for the people of Bridgetown and as a community centre, used for rehearsals, concerts and larger meetings.

Although there is a weekly sacramental service, there is no choir and services are more informal, but still undertaken in compliance with Common Worship.

Thanks to a significant contribution from the Heritage Lottery Fund the church has been able to raise £230,000 to replace the deteriorating wooden window frames on the north and south sides of the building, provide a disabled toilet and refurbish a kitchen on the ground floor.

History Built by the Duke of Somerset in 1832 at a cost of £7,000 and seating 700 worshippers, under its radical first minister the Reverend James Shore in 1844 St John’s became the first Independent Free Church in England, only subsequently rejoining the Church of England in 1869.

In 1976 the church was completely gutted in an arson attack. Significantly the rebuilding avoided any attempt at reinstating the old features. Instead an extra floor was inserted above the worship space to provide a large meeting hall.

In 1980 the church was refurbished, with the mullions and tracery at the sides of the nave being replaced by steel frames.

Contact Information

26 Bridgetown, Totnes, TQ9 5AD

Forthcoming events

Music – Divertimento String Quartet – Doors open 2:30pm, Performance(s) 3:00pm, Adult (on the door) £15.00